Friday, December 30, 2011

Pop Pop's Mashed Potatoes

I made this on Thanksgiving and Christmas because it's such a popular thing in my family. I know you're thinking, what's the big deal? It's just mashed potatoes. I dont know what it is but, my grandfather's mashed potatoes are the best thing on the planet for me, next to his kielbasa (&Ill be posting that recipe soon!).

Funny story, though. I was cutting it really close on Christmas day & made this dish last thinking it would be quick. Ohhhh no. It took so much longer than it should have and I pretty much was freaking out. My amazing boyfriend swooped in & save the days (&the potatoes)! He's officially in the family now. Haha. :]

Since this is considered an indulgence recipe I didnt bother to come up with serving size or calorie information. I just thought it would be neat to pass on a family recipe to those of you who read this.

INGREDIENTS
5lbs potatoes, scrubbed
1.5 c buttermilk
1 stick margarine, melted
salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Place potatoes in the pot & cook for 8 minutes.
Remove potatoes & let cool.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle peel & cut into quarters.
Bring the same pot to a boil & cook for 8 more minutes.

Drain water & place potatoes bake into the pot.
Add margarine, buttermilk, salt, & pepper.
Mix with an electric hand mixer.



Again, I dont really know what makes these so special but they are freakin' delicious. Im not sure if it's the buttermilk or the way the potatoes are cooked but ohhhh man. I could eat the entire pot of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment