Saturday, June 8, 2013

Mexican Rice

Well, about as Mexican as a white girl can get on the east coast.  Haha.  I suppose it should be more Mexican - style rice.  I actually ended up doubling this because I wanted it to feed me throughout my work week and, obviously, 4 servings doesnt work for a 5 day work week.  I tend to do this with a lot of recipes because Id rather have leftovers than not have a lunch on Fridays.  Im pretty sure this is meant to be a side dish but, rice is super filling for me since I dont eat a lot of carbs.  When I do, it's usually for lunch.

Recipe is from Vegetarian Times.
Yields 4 servings.
190 calories per serving.


INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp olive oil
1 c brown rice, cooked
1 c frozen corn
1 c frozen peas
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbsp tomato paste

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add rice & saute for 3 - 4 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
Add corn, peas, garlic, cumin, & oregano, & saute for 1 minute.

Spoon tomato paste into a 2 cup measuring cup.
Add 2 cups of water & stir to combine.
Pour tomato paste mixture into rice & season with salt & pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, & simmer for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment