Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mexican Skillet

You guys know that I love Mexican food.  Ive been having cravings for it lately, especially with my (future) father in law coming into town this past week.  We were talking about varying cuisines and our shared love for the deliciousness that is authentic Mexican food.  It made me have a sever craving.  Now, I will say that no matter how hard I try, anything Mexican inspired that I cook with probably never be as amazing as the real thing but, I do what I can.  Haha.

Recipe from BHG dot com
Yields 6 servings
230 calories per serving


INGREDIENTS
12 oz chorizo
2 c whole kernal corn, frozen
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 c uncooked instant brown rice
1/2 c water
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c lowfat cheddar jack cheese

DIRECTIONS
Remove casings from chorizo & cook in a large skillet over medium heat until browned.
Drain & set aside.

Add corn, tomatoes, rice, water, chili powder, & cumin to the skillet.
Bring to a boil & then reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed & rice is tender.
Stir in beans & cooked sausage; heat through.
Sprinkle with cheese & let stand for a few minutes to melt the cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment