Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mexican Mac & Cheese

Hey guys!  Hope you're as stoked as I am about the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.  It's my one cheat day this month.  It's especially exciting because I get to break out my family recipes that I only make on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My family is SUPER Polish so we eat kielbasa at all holidays and man, it's delicious!

Anyways, that has nothing to do with this recipe.  This is another recipe Ive adapted to be healthier than the original.  It was a lot of simple swaps to ensure the calorie count is low enough for my intake levels.

Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Yields 12 servings
287 calories per serving


INGREDIENTS
1 box whole wheat penne
1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
16 oz salsa
16 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Cook pasta according to box directions, drain, & set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage & onion until meat is browned & onion is tender.
Stir in salsa.

Layer half of pasta, half of sausage mixture, & half of cheese in baking dish.
Repeat layers & bake for 35 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment