Sunday, August 25, 2013

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Biscotti

I had a cheat meal yesterday and I figured the best way to counter my feelings of regret (other than drinking massive amounts of water) was to bake something that is reasonably healthy and low in calories.  I actually had pulled this from my recipe stash to make last week but, I didnt get around to it.

Recipe from Skinny Kitchen dot com.
Yields 50 biscotti.
86 calories a biscotti.


INGREDIENTS
4 egg whites
1 egg
1/2 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c sugar
3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Topping
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper.

In a large bowl, blend together egg, egg whites, & oil.
Add vanilla and sugar and mix well.
Mix in the flour, chocolate chips, baking powder, & salt until the dough is combined.
Place dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm.

In a small bowl mix cinnamon and sugar for topping.

Divide the dough into 4 portions & place on baking sheet.
Sprinkle each loaf with cinnamon & sugar.

Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from oven & transfer loaves to a cutting board.
Cut the loaves crosswise into 1/4 in slices.
Place the slices back onto the baking sheets & sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake for 12 minutes, turn over the slices, sprinkle again, & bake for 12 more minutes.


These smelled amazing while baking & I imagine they'll taste equally as delicious.  I havent tried them yet but, I will tomorrow with my breakfast.  This recipe is a little time consuming but totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment